Sunday, May 4, 2008

Kentucky Derby



So, Bob and I donned our hats and tuned in to watch the Kentucky Derby. (I don't wear hats, and the cowboy hat is the only thing I could think of to wear!) But, there is a story to this...... One day this week in our local newspaper there was a coupon for the dog tracks. The coupon was for free admission, plus you got a free program, hotdog and soda! Well, we are big dog track enthusiasts -- so, off we head to the dog tracks Saturday (yesterday) afternoon. On the way, Bob mentioned that it might be kind of busy due to the Kentucky Derby. Well, he sure was correct -- the place was packed! Well, there were so many people there, long lines for betting -- and the beer/hotdog line was crazy! We only stayed until around the 5th race, but in that time we both managed to eat our huge, gross, disgusting hot dogs and have a couple of beers! Before we left, I wanted to make a bet on the Kentucky Derby. Bob picked 2 horses (10 and 20), and I picked #5 - Eight Bells to show. The reason I picked this horse.... #5: Bob's Birthday, Eight Bells: for my Mom Sybella and the jockey's name was Larry (my brother)! So, we make our bets and home we go to watch the Derby. If anyone watched the race, the rest is history. Eight Bells ends up taking 2nd place - I WIN! The only problem is that immediately after taking 2nd place, Eight Bells falls to the ground. Turns out, this horse broke both ankles at end of the race -- they immediately euthanized it!!! So sad -- my victory turned to sadness. I don't even know if I can turn in my winning ticket - it just doesn't seem right :(

No comments: